History - Northern Ontario Zone


Super Buccaneer - 1944

art 44 
This is the earliest known photo of aeromodelling in our zone. It's a rare 1944 photo of Art Bondar flipping the prop on a 72” wing span Super Buccaneer free- flight gassie at Harmony Beach on Lake Superior (north of Sault St. Marie). The model was built by the photographer Dr. Nino Campana and Art. They were using a pre-war fuel mix, as gasoline was tightly rationed. Art Bondar is the uncle of  Roberta Bondar.


Sudbury RC Contest - 1977

Many thanks to Dennis MacKay from Sudbury for the following tid-bits!

The blue and white plane in photo #5 is... I am quite sure... my old Graupner Kwik Fly Mk 3. I had two kits, and still have one that's a partly built. It was powered by a Webra .61 Black Head with Kavan Carb. A good flyer, but the radio was giving me problems. It was either the Canadian version of the the Yank's "Orbit" called the C.R.C.here, or maybe a Logictrol radio (probably CRC - they were rubbish. - Chris). All I remember is that I had a lot of problems with the radio at that time. I believe my plane ended up being sold to a guy in Kitchener - but I'm not sure.
The Veron Tomtit in photo #7 was built and flown by Ron Daoust and was powered with a Super Tigre .29 two stroke. It was an excellent flyer, very stable and quite aerobatic. Lots of fun when Ron flew it. Note, we both bought kits to the plane, I don't know what happened to Ron's plane, but I still have my kit - maybe I will build someday ???.

Click to enlarge and read the captions.

View the embedded image gallery online at:


Sault Ste. Marie 1979 - How Capt. Beauregard got a new name and other short stories

wally paul

Wally Batter (with tx) was adept at flying Cox powered small gliders. I remember launching one of those with Paul Butcher (right) on the controls. Paul shouted at me to turn in the needle valve, commonly done from the rear of the engine. Somehow I managed to entangle my hand with the nylon prop tips as I reached over the engine from the front. Suddenly 21 shallow red lines appeared on the thenar eminence of my right pollex, also known as the fleshy part of the thumb. It did not stop the Cox so I launched and licked my 21 wounds. Salty. When the plane had landed Paul looked at my paw, and from the even spacing of the shallow slits estimated that the prop had been turning 10,850 rpm. Paul always had a keen eye in his youth.
The first three photos (below) are of Paul’s six foot span Fairchild Cornell as it was known in the RCAF,  and as the Ranger in the USAAF. It was used as a primary trainer so it was designated  the PT-19. Paul may have a built five PT-19s. The smallest spanned about three feet. The two of us went flying the small one one gray winter afternoon. I hand launched it. He flew it a while, then slowed it down and caught the wing tip with his gloved hand, turned 180 degrees and released it; he did this time and again, catch and release. When the Super Tigre .15 started to sputter he caught it again and the engine stopped. It was .getting dark after two more flights so we returned to our respective homes.
This photo (left), and the next two photos below show Paul’s nine foot Taylorcraft he got from a guy in Blind River who bought and hoarded kits. Pre- and postwar ads appeared for a model company in US model mags for four 9‘ span kits, possibly Aristocraft. These kits were all balsa for Forster .99s or larger engines. The guy was offering everything for sale at less than half price. Someone told me about this and I told the guys at the field early on a weekend morning. An American Air Force Captain was at the field. He was stationed at Kincheloe AFB, married to a female  AF medic, just back from Germany with a Rolls Royce engine in a Daimler-Benz which he had at the field. I don’t remember his last name, but his first name was Beauregard.
Paul was instantly interested and started packing his gear into his station wagon to unload at home, and asked me to go with him to Blind River. Lunch was waiting for me at home, so I declined. Beauregard asked how far to Blind River, and being a friendly Canadian, I told him. He got into his wife’s car and purred off down HWY 17E. When Paul got to Blind River, the Yank had bought absolutely everything he could fit in the car, paid for in American cash. Paul managed to cadge the Taylorcraft kit from him for more than he’d paid for it. Paul was in a rage all the way home, partly directed to his friendly Canadian fellow modeller. Paul renamed the Yank Beauschitt.
Paul built the plane, and looked for an engine. He found a two-stroker displacing about 1.2 c.i. It was almost adequate. I can’t recall the engine’s make. Anyway Paul had to increase the tailplane incidence about 2 degrees to have it fly hands off. He did this with all his scale models, including the Cleveland kit of the Stinson Reliant (all built-up ribs) which I had bought and built, but had not yet covered. I had increased the incidence of the stab based on Paul’s dictum, but forgot to tell Paul. He raised it to 4 degrees. On the taxi test, the Reliant couldn’t get its nose up to take off. We eventually solved the issue and Paul so enjoyed its flying qualities he built a 12’ version he flew until its final crash. I don’t recall the fate of the Taylorcraft.
The last photo is my totally scale model BE-2e. The instruments are hand turned brass, with appropriate markings, all flying surfaces have hand stitched covering over the ribs, with extra close stitches in surfaces that came within the slip stream of the large laminated  four bladed prop. The fuselage covering had grommets at the edges of the covering and, as in the real plane the grommeted surfaces were laced together. On the real planes this permitted the ground crew to unlace and re-lace the covering after combat damage had been repaired.
The engine was obtained from OS for me by Bud Nosen when their first 4 stroke .60s were imported. Ugh! It  had almost  the power of a .40 2 stroke. So it dragged the bipe into the wind and because the undercambered stitched ribs covered a large area of flying surface it waddled slowly into the air. The control surfaces were huge so it responded nicely to command. I circled the field four times and almost clipped a post coming in from a maximum height of 30 or 40 feet. I tried other 4 strokers but the plane flew as sluggishly as the real plane did. “Naturally,” Paul said, with all those interplane struts, rigging wires, and camera you have a built-in headwind!”
It took two years to build; it’s been hanging in my garage for 36 more years.
Dr. Nino Campana - September 2016

Click on the photos below to enlarge and read the captions. These photos were taken at our flying site at "Strathclair" (corner 2nd line & Black Rd)

(photos by Dr. Nino Campana)

View the embedded image gallery online at:


Sault Ste. Marie & St. Joseph Island - Ringing in the 80s

(originally published in the Soo Modeller Monthly, February, 1980)

The Soo Modellers were well represented to mark the beginning of the flying year. Several members as outlined below were in attendance at various times of the day (January 1st, 1980) namely Jack Mertes, Cec Marshall, Lou Barreiro, Jim Elgie, J.P. Gendron, Russell Bateman, and myself. The weather was very mild with moderate winds which presented no problems for the aircraft we were flying. Each of us had at least two flights with no major crack-ups, although a number of minor problems were encountered.
ColdstartElgie flew his 15-500 with skis and had a good time of it until he encountered a number of irregular manoeuvres on his third flight which were not produced by the hand of man. Anyway, Jim managed to make a reasonably good landing in the boon docks to the relief of all present. Later in the day, Jim mentioned that after investigating the circumstances, he found a bad cell in the airborne pack.
J.P. seems to be up to his old tricks again of trying the near impossible - an inverted landing, as did Elgie in Wawa last summer. Anyway, J.P. apparently made a low inverted pass but found himself applying full down elevator with no more in reserve. Being at such a low altitude and unable to roll for fear of creaming the 15-500 all over the map, J.P. didn't have much choice but do the inverted landing bit. Fortunately, the snow was soft, and only minor damage to the tail assembly was incurred.

Glow engines of the day were not always willing to start in the cold.  brrr....

Mertes got away Scot free...  his tireless Kaos managed to stand up to several touch-and-goes on the field with skis on. Takeoffs were straight down the icy ditch, and then...  oh boy: hold your breath! All in all, Jack had a good time of it.
TomI would not say for sure, but probably Lou has a "first" in so far as takeoffs in the snow with wheels are concerned: yes, he really did it! His Smith Miniplane was the one that did the trick: down the runway, up and away. Lou also took a shot at the expert pattern and managed a breath taking eight point roll in the sequence, even if he started at 400 ft (120m) and came out at 100 ft (30m)! You'll never get the best crash award that way Lou (Ha! Ha!)
Cec flew his Kavalier: goes like a bat out of hell. Myself, I flew my Orion with the regular O.S.40 on it. Don't let the regular engine fool you Dave, it is also fast. On Cec's first flight, he just about had to put that pair of Pampers on, as the plane veered to one side so bad that he had to come down very shortly after takeoff. After checking things out and making adjustments to the rudder (which was the culprit) he put in a second flight with no  problems. I put in a total of four flights - did lose a stud out of the head of the engine on the last flight, but managed to complete okay.

        In those days, we put our MAAC# on our planes. Looks like this one belongs to Cec
                             (as launched by author Tom Bateman at Bellevue Park)


Russell flew our beat up 15-500 with the Fox .45 on it. He put the Quickie through four good flights and, finally, upon landing on that last one, either plunked it down hard or hit an icy area, because the whole nose section back to the leading edge of the wing fell off! It looked like a dead fish that he was carrying back across the field! It wasn't all that bad to repair, as we redid the weak area and it is now flyable once again.
Honourable mention must go to the two gentlemen who also flew early in the New Year, but on St. Joseph Island. Chris Moes and Greg Farish came out of hibernation and flew off the ice of Hilton Lake. Although Greg put his own machine to rest in the fall, he did manage to log some flying time with Chris' O.S. Max .30 powered Barnstormer (photo right). Chris tells me the ice was completely free of snow. Neither of them had to worry about going off the end of the runway, that's for sure!
Our "presidante" and C.D. were both out of commission for the day as other matters were more pressing.
A very good time was had by all those who came out and I'm sure we can use this as an indicator to the possible successful up and coming flying season ahead. Tally-ho until next year.
Tom Bateman, Soo Modellers Secretary

(photos by Christian Moes)


SMAC Fun Fly - 2000

These pictures were taken at the SMAC Fun Fly on June 16th, 2000

Click to enlarge and read the captions.

View the embedded image gallery online at:


Cambrian Fun Fly - 2000

These pictures were taken at the Cambrian R/C Flyers Fun Fly on July 14, 2000 at the club's field in Chelmsford, Ontario.

Click to enlarge and read the captions.

View the embedded image gallery online at:


Thessalon Fun Fly - 2002

The 2002 Thessalon Fun-Fly was hosted by K.C. Shaw at the Little Rapids Airport. We loved those Thessalon trips!
On the return trek, we always stopped at the ”Carolyn Beach Motel & Restaurant” on the way home for homemade baked beans and butterscotch pie. Needless to say, the windows of our vehicles were rolled down all the way home!
These pictures were taken at the Fun Fly on June 8th, 2002. Have you ever seen such a happy group of aeromodellers?


Two happy aeromodellers - Dan Molino from Sault Michigan (seated) and Clarence Boyer

Click on the images below to enlarge and read the captions

View the embedded image gallery online at:


Northern Ontario IMAC Challenge - 2004

First NOIC Contest in Sudbury (Cambrian Field) on July 31st & August 1st, 2004.

Click to enlarge and read the captions.

View the embedded image gallery online at:

All photos (unless otherwise noted) by Cec Marshall
Return to home page